What is Slip and Fall Lawyer?
A Slip and Fall Lawyer is a personal injury attorney that represents people who were injured in a slip and fall accidents and trip and fall accidents. A Bronx Slip and Fall Lawyer can help you file a lawsuit and recover damages based on your slip and fall or trip and fall injury.
Yes. If you slip and fall or trip and fall in the Bronx NY or anywhere in NYC you should immediately contact a slip and fall injury lawyer so he can evaluate your slip and fall injury claim and help you recover damages based on your slip and fall or trip and fall injury.
How much legal fees does a Slip and Fall Attorney Charges?
A slip and fall attorney in the Bronx and practically most of the slip and fall lawyers in NYC charge no fee unless you win the case.
When a slip and fall lawyer in NYC wins your slip and fall or trip and fall injury case he will take 1/3 (one-third) of the settlement amount he successfully negotiated for you or from the damages verdict he won after trial.
Slip and fall retainer agreements are contingent upon a slip and fall settlement agreement with the insurance company or slip and fall trial verdict. A slip and fall retainer agreement will also provide for deductions of the slip and fall case expenses. Therefore, the legal fees a slip and fall attorney in the Bronx will charge you is a third of what he recovered for you after deducing the expenses.
The New York City Bar Associations website explains that, when a lawyer works on a contingent basis in a personal injury case (such as slip and fall), there is no upfront payment of legal fees or an hourly basis for the service and the only payment the personal injury lawyer receives is contingent on recovering monetary damages for the personal injury client. Your slip and fall lawyer works in exchange for a percentage that will be deducted from the recovery after the attorney deducts certain “fees and disbursements” from the recovery. The general percentage in a slip and fall injury claims is a third or 33%.
Do I have a Slip and Fall Case?
In order to determine whether you have a Slip and Fall case your Bronx Slip and Fall Lawyer will have to look into the following:
- Slip and Fall Injury: Were you in fact injured during the slip and fall or the trip and fall accident? If so, you may have a Slip and Fall Injury, which is the first step in this type of personal injury cases.
- Slip and Fall Negligence: Is someone, such as a Landlord, Gas Station or Supermarket at fault or was someone negligence or careless. Slip and fall negligence occurs after someone fell to perform a duty in a manner which a reasonable person would, under the same circumstances. For example, a reasonable store employee is expected to put a sign and advise shoppers who are entering the store, if he just mopped the floor since the floor may be slippery. Another example, is a property owner who is expected to shovel the snow and keep the sidewalk in front of his property in a clean and safe condition for pedestrians, to prevent a slip and fall injury or a trip and fall accident.
- Insurance Policy covering Slip and Fall Injuries: A Bronx slip and fall lawyer and probably every slip and fall or trip and fall attorney in NYC will need to verify that the property owner, such as a Store, Landlord, Gas Station or Supermarket have insurance policy and that the policy covers slip and fall or trip and fall accidents. As a general rule, most property insurance policies do cover slip and fall and trip and falls injuries, but there may be exceptions.
The three conditions listed above are mandatory in each slip and fall and trip and fall case and no NYC slip and fall lawyer will pursue a case without a slip and fall injury, slip and fall negligence and slip and fall insurance policy.
Depending on where you fell, your slip and fall attorney in the Bronx may need to prove other things such as:
- *Who caused the dangerous condition that led to your slip and fall injury or trip and fall injury?
- *Was this person or company aware of the dangerous condition that caused your slip and fall injury or trip and fall injury?
- *Would a reasonable person have prevented this condition, made repairs, or maintain the property in a different way to make it safer?
- *Would a reasonable person put a sign, barrier, or warning to prevent slip and fall or trip and fall accidents on the property?
Your slip and fall lawyer will also need to investigate your actions and possible negligence during the accident. A slip and fall victim may miss or ignore a warning signs, act in an unreasonable or risky manner or may have not been attentive enough to the surroundings and may have contributed to the negligence. However, your own negligence during a slip or trip and fall accident or trip and fall injury do not necessarily prevents you for recovering monetary damages.
In New York State all landlords and property managers and owners have a legal duty to keep their properties in safe conditions. Slip and fall and trip and fall injuries often occur when a property owner or manager fail to exercise a duty of care in maintaining a building, land, store, gas station, supermarket or other type of properties, creating the existence of dangerous conditions and causing bodily injury to slip and fall victims.
Is there a Deadline to file a Slip and Fall and Trip and Fall Lawsuit?
In New York State there is a deadline to file slip and fall and trip and fall Lawsuit. This deadline is governed by the Status of Limitation. The statute of limitations is a State or Federal Law that provides the maximum time a person must file a slip and fall or trip and fall lawsuit. In some cases, the statute of limitation can be extended.
I had a Slip and Fall Accident in New York City, what is the Statute of Limitations?
The statute of limitations for Slip and Fall Accidents in New York State and in New York City is three years from the date of the accident. This may vary and some counties and municipalities in New York State have their own local statute of limitations for Slip and Fall Accidents. For example, the City of New York requires an injured person in slip and fall accident to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the accident in any action brought against the City of New York.
Can I extend the Statute of Limitations if I slipped and fell in NYC?
The general rule is that the Statute of limitations cannot be extended. However, in some cases, such as cases involving a minor or late discovery of the bodily harm, an injured party in a slip and fall accident can petition the court and request an extension of time to file a claim beyond the time provided by the Statute of Limitations.
How many people slip and fall or Trip and Fall in New York each year?
As of today, we have no statistics on the number of people that slip and fall or trip and fall in New York each year. However, According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) millions of people fall each year. The CDC statistics shows that more than one out of four older people falls each year and falls are serious and costly. Furthermore, the CDC elaborates that one out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or head injury.
What are the types of Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall Accidents?
- Slip and Fall Accidents can happen and cause injury in the following scenarios:
- Trip and Fall in a Construction Site
- Slip and Fall in a Construction Site
- Slip and Fall on a Wet Floor
- Trip and Fall due to uneven sidewalk and defective driveway
- Trip and Fall on Defective or Broken Ramp
- Trip and Fall on Defective or Broken Ramp Staircase
- Slip and Fall on Snow or Ice
- Slip and Fall on Greased or Polished Floor
- Slip and Fall due to Clutter or Merchandise on floor
- Slip and Fall Due to Insufficient Lighting
- Slip and Fall due to Gap or Hole on the Ground
- Trip and Fall due to Open or Defective Cellar Doors or Cellar Grates
- Trip and Fall due to Electrical Cord on your way
What type of injuries are caused in a Slip and Fall Accident?
The injuries in a slip and fall accident can vary from one accident to another and from one person to another but may include the following:
Neck and spine injuries, paralysis, broken legs, broken hand, broken ribs and other body parts, amputation, disfigurement, face injuries, broken nose, head injuries, back injuries, brain injuries and trauma or death.
What are the Compensations I can expect for my Slip and Fall Injuries?
The Compensations for Slip and Fall Injuries include the following:
- Monetary award for bodily harm
- Monetary award for emotional distress and psychological damage
- Reimbursement of medical expenses
- Compensation for loss of wages and earning capacity
What advice your Bronx Slip and Fall Law Firm have for me?
Slip and fall accidents can happen in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and anywhere in NYC. As a Bronx Slip and Fall Law Firm, we recommend that you take the following steps:
- If you slip and fall or trip and fall and are injured, we recommend that you immediately call 911.
- In addition, keep any and all records of the place, time and date of your fall, including photos of your personal injury, medical correspondence, medical receipts, X-rays, phone records, text messages, emails and any other proof that will assist your slip and fall lawyer in proving your slip and fall accident. Try to detail as much as you can what exactly happened and take as many photos as you can.
- Keep notes of the date, time, and place of the fall and of any complaints you reported to the police and medical doctor.
- Contact a Bronx Slip and Fall Law Firm and request a free slip and fall accident case evaluation.
Can I be a victim of a slip and fall accident in NYC?
You may well be a victim of a slip and fall or trip and fall in NYC. New York is a very big city and has hundreds of thousands of stores, thousands of construction sites, gas stations and supermarkets and unfortunately, many of them do not always maintain their properties in a clean and safe condition, causing slip and fall and trip and fall injuries to thousands NYC residents each year.
Why should you hire Feiner & Lavy PC?
With over 80 years of combined experience in New York City slip and fall cases, our firm is well-grounded and has a broad range of resources available to be used for your benefits. We pride ourselves in our level of determination and will not stop until the highest possible payout has been granted in your case.